Sunday, December 21, 2008

Mary's Song - My Prayer

Oh the magnificat! The blessed Mary, a young child herself, chosen to carry the burden and the blessing of the Christ Child. She sings with joy and praise. I imagine her song to be both an expression of her joy and faith as well as a prayer, urging God to give her the strength to live into this call. It is both a commitment of faith and a prayer for faith that emerges from her continuously as the divine child grows within.

We are each called, chosen by God for an amazing and overwhelming task that requires a faith beyond our comprehension. Like Mary, we are called to be the carriers of the Christ Child - in our hearts and in our lives; in our relationships with family, friends, community; in our work and in our play; in our caring for others and in our caring for ourselves. Here is my song of praise, my prayer as I contemplate the enormity of this calling, as I live into my commitment of faith and urge God to give me the strength to live into this call. How would you make the magnificat your prayer?

Heavenly Father, Lord God Almighty, Creator of All Things, Abba – my soul glorifies you. My spirit rejoices in you my savior. The inner most parts of me, that which defines who I am, is filled with your glory even when I feel distant and discontented. You know me and you know the state of my life. Because of how deeply you know me and love me, you have chosen me. You have selected me, in this state that I am in, to represent you. You lift me high. It takes my breath away to be so near to your holiness.

Lord, you know that I feel unworthy. I am afraid and I am insecure. But you have such great mercy on me as you have shown with all the saints from past generations. I trust you. You forgive my inequities and you will me to put them aside, to open myself to your amazing gift – the gift you have given to your servant.

Mighty God, in a breath you create life . . . in a touch your power destroys. To experience your wrath is to be separated from you, scattered, without community, lonely. This destiny is sure when I am full of pride, when I separate myself from you.

But to feel your breath is to be created. To breathe in your spirit is to be filled with your love and your strength and your power. Allow me Lord; move me to be humble in your presence. Grow my hunger so that you may feed me. Take my hands and lift me to the place you have prepared for me. As you have promised, your faithfulness and mercy is limitless. You are my God and I am your child. Teach me justice, steadfast love and humility as I walk with you.

Luke 1:45-55 (NIV)
And Mary said: "My soul glorifies the Lord and my spirit rejoices in God my Savior, for he has been mindful of the humble state of his servant. From now on all generations will call me blessed, for the Mighty One has done great things for me— holy is his name. His mercy extends to those who fear him, from generation to generation. He has performed mighty deeds with his arm; he has scattered those who are proud in their inmost thoughts. He has brought down rulers from their thrones but has lifted up the humble. He has filled the hungry with good things but has sent the rich away empty. He has helped his servant Israel, remembering to be merciful to Abraham and his descendants forever, even as he said to our fathers."

Blessings to you this Christmas!

1 comment:

Barnabas File said...

In Mary's song, we are reminded that humility doesn't mean weakness. In the case of Mary, the mother of our Lord, it meant strength!